Yep, I made them last night and they are incredible! The secret: black beans! Wait! Before you make a face, I promise you that these are delicious and no one will ever suspect that they are eating anything but a brownie. They were easy to make and were baked in just 20 minutes. Kids will be thrilled to eat them and you will feel good that they are eating a healthy dessert! I suspect that lentils can also be used in place of the beans, so I plan to try that next, stay tuned.
Makes about 20-24 brownies
– 1 ¼ cup of cooked black beans (canned work well)
– ¾ cup vegetable or olive oil (I used safflower oil)
– 3 eggs
– 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– ¾ cup sugar
– 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
– ¾ semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used 42% cacao chips)
– ½ cup of white or whole wheat pastry flour (I used ww pastry flour)
– ¾ teaspoon baking powder
– ¾ teaspoon salt
Prepare a 9×11 pan, preheat oven to 350. Puree beans with oil in blender, food processor or with a hand blender. Add eggs, cocoa, sugar and vanilla, mix well. Melt half the chocolate chips (I used microwave to melt the chips), and add to the mix. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add to mix until just incorporated. Pour into pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow 15 minutes to cool before cutting.
Adapted from Food Network