This week we have been going green to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day so it comes as no surprise that we selected a leafy green for our feature vegetable this week. Spinach is our favorite vegetable this week and for a very good reason, it is one of the most nutrient rich vegetables available. In addition to that, it is easy to find and will keep well in the fridge.
Simple ways to add spinach to your daily meals:
– Include chopped spinach into your meatballs and burgers.
– Add sautéed spinach to your eggs and omelets in the morning. Serve it with turkey bacon and you can tell your kids they are having “green eggs and ham.”
– Swap out your iceberg lettuce for fresh spinach in your salads
– Sauté several handfuls of spinach and add to your pasta sauce
Some of the benefits of eating a serving of spinach each day are:
– ½ cup of spinach contains approximately 25% of your daily intake of iron, which makes it one of the best vegetables to get this mineral from.
– ½ cup of spinach contains the full daily intake of Vitamin K needed.
– Spinach is also high in Vitamin C and Potassium
– Few of us know that cooked spinach is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.