Have you ever wondered what fruits are similar to some of your favorites like apples and bananas? Oprah.com provided a great list of alternatives to these staple fruits, many of which are uncommon, so it is a great way to try a new item! Even better, it will help you bump up your fruit intake, which almost 80% of us fall short on.
1. Papaya has similar nutritional value to apples and even more fiber than an apple.
2. The Quince fruit has a similar taste to an apple, however it tends to be a little more dense and tart.
1. Kiwi have similar nutritional values to that of a banana. They also happen to be one of the top 5 nutrient dense fruits.
2. Plantains have a similar texture and taste like a combination of a banana and sweet potato.
1. Guava has similar nutritional value to watermelon and have an abundance of lycopene which helps reduce cancer risk.
2. Asian Pears have a similar texture to watermelon with the added bonus of an unexpected sweetness.
1. Star fruit has similar nutritional value to oranges and is packed with the same amount of Vitamin C which makes it a great alternative.
2. Kumquat’s look like small oranges and have a similar texture except they tend to be more tart.