Sure, we all know that fast food is one of the most unhealthy things we can eat and is a huge culprit in the childhood obesity epidemic, but even with the “healthy meals” that many places are offering, a new report shows that just because they claim to be healthier does not mean that they are healthy.
1. Chick-fil-A Kids Grilled Nuggets Kids Meal– Don’t let the grilled nuggets fool you. This meal not only contains the same amount of cholesterol as a Big Mac, but it also contains a whopping 570 calories!!
2. McDonald’s Cheeseburger Happy Meal– This traditional go-to fast food meal contains as much sodium as 13 servings of children’s french fries and has 520 calories!
3. Sonic Kids’ Jr. Burger Meal– This children’s meal contains as much sugar as 2 twinkles and has 550 calories.
4. Burger King Hamburger Kids Meal– While this meal does contain the fewest calories at around 380, it still has as much cholesterol as 6 slices of pork bacon.
5. Denny’s Build Your Own Jr. Grand Slam– This option may contain only 320 calories, however it has 100 mg more sodium than recommended for children to consume during breakfast.
While fast food is sometimes the go-to when we are on the go or for those late nights when we have no time to prepare dinner, it is important to look at the nutritional information before ordering for your kids. Also, with many places offering apple slices instead of fries, that is always a great option. You can omit the dipping sauce to help reduce the sugar and calories in the meal!