Yesterday we told you about the benefits of eating zucchini and today we have a great lasagna alternative that uses layers of zucchini in place of traditional lasagna noodles. It is a great way to add some veggies into a family favorite!!
4 cups water
6 cups sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
1 pound ground round
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups low-fat spaghetti sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups fat-free cottage cheese or ricotta
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
1 3/4 cups (3 1/2 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add zucchini; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and cool.
3. Place the beef and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, salt, basil, and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
4. Combine the cottage cheese, parsley, and eggs in a medium bowl.
5. Arrange zucchini slices in a shallow 3-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the zucchini with half of the breadcrumbs.
6. Spread half of cottage cheese mixture over breadcrumbs; cover with half of the meat mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layers with the remaining breadcrumbs, cottage cheese mixture, and meat mixture; reserve the remaining mozzarella. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.