The fall squash are back in full force. One of my favorites is spaghetti squash!! I use it as a healthier substitute for spaghetti and angel hair pastas during the fall. Here is a great recipe that is nutrient packed and perfect for tonight’s meatless Monday dinner!
Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash
One 4-5 pound spaghetti squash, halved and seeds scooped out ( need help on figuring out how to cook it? Click here )
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium ripe avocado
Water, to thin out (I use around 2-3 tbsp water)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Wash spaghetti squash and place on an old tea towel (this helps prevent it from slipping) or cutting board. Slice off stem, flip cut side down, and then carefully slice it in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds + squash guts and set aside.
2. Brush the cut-sides with oil and then season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. Squash is ready when the strands scrape off with a fork fairly easily. 5 pound squash takes about 40 mins.
3. Meanwhile, make the avocado sauce. Add the garlic and basil to a food processor and mince. Now, add in the lemon juice and olive oil and stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Slice avocado in half and pit. Scoop out the flesh and drop it into the processor with the motor running. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, to thin out the sauce as needed. Stop to scrape down the bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and process again. Feel free to add more lemon or oil, adjusting to taste, if desired.
5. When the squash is ready, flip over and allow to cool slightly so it’s safe to handle. Grab a fork and scrape off strands of squash until you have two empty “shells”. Place strands onto a plate (or just serve in the shells), season with salt and pepper, and top with the avocado sauce. Sauce will keep for 1 day in the fridge in an air-tight container. For extra flavor and a bit of calcium, add a little parmesan to the top as well!!