With Thanksgiving only a week away, we might be stressing over all of the cooking and prep work that we have ahead of us, but the little ones are getting excited not only for the food but also spending time with the family. Here are a few fun and easy Thanksgiving inspired crafts that can keep them entertained this week!
1. To make our paper plate turkey start by using a craft knife to cut a triangle in the paper plate for a beak.
2. Paint the beak yellow, the face brown, and use a variety of colors to paint feathers around the plate.
3. When paint is completely dry, glue on 2 white circles with googly eyes for the eyeballs and a waddle that is cut out of a red foam sheet.
paper – white, brown, orange, red
paint – red, orange, green, yellow, brown
1. Paint your child’s hand in each of the above paint colours and stamp them around your white piece of paper in an open feather shape.
2. Using your brown paper, cut out a body and head and glue them on your turkey.
3. Using your orange paper, cut out some legs and a beak and glue them on your turkey.
4. Using your red paper, cut out a gobbly thingy and glue it on your turkey.
5. Glue on some googly eyes.
Paper or foam cup (8.5 oz)
Acrylic paint in fall colors (brown, tan, orange, red, green, yellow, etc.)
Large pom-pom for head (brown, yellow, red, orange, etc.)
Small foam heart for gobbler (to contrast with color of head)
Small foam triangle (orange or yellow)
2 small wiggle eyes
3” x 2” piece of orange construction paper
1 sheet of white construction paper
White craft glue
1. Place cup upside down on work surface and paint brown (see image).
2. To make the feathers, paint the white construction paper with several fall colors, crisscrossing the colors as you go. Let dry
3. Cut feathers out in one large piece, should be shaped similar to a hand or crown. Cut the tips of each feather into a point
4. Apply glue to the bottom portion of the feathers and press onto the bottom of the cup. Hold in place for a minute or so to let the glue grab.
5. Place foam heart upside down so that the bumps are facing downward. Glue the foam triangle, point down, onto the upside down heart–the upper points of the triangle will be hanging over the edge. This is the beak and gobbler.
6. Glue the pom-pom to the top of the paper cup.
7. Glue the wiggle eyes and the beak and gobbler to the head.
8. Cut two feet from the orange construction paper and glue to the bottom of the cup.
For even more adorable Turkey inspired crafts for kids, this website has a lot of great ideas!