With Thanksgiving only a few days away, chances are you want to avoid the kitchen as much as possible the next few days since come Wednesday you will be living there. Yesterday we told you about the benefits of wheat berries and today we have one of my favorite ways to eat them! Throw everything into the crock pot overnight and in the morning you have a warm, filling breakfast that the entire family will love!!
Crockpot Wheat Berry Cereal
* 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed and drained
* 2 cups water (you can use almond milk if you prefer)
* 1/2 cup chopped fruit – I use apples, cranberries, and pears
* 1/4 cup raisins
* 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/8 tsp honey
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp allspice
* 1/4 tsp ground cloves
* 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
* 1/2 cup sliced almonds, I have also used both walnuts and pumpkin seeds as well
1. Combine everything into crockpot in the evening, stir to mix.
2. Cook on low overnight and with fresh berries and a splash of milk or yogurt! For an added nutritional bonus sprinkle some chia seeds and wheat germ on the top as well.
Adapted From Eating Well