Looking for a hearty meal that is both nutritious and a crowd pleaser? This recipe is one of my favorites. Not only is it easy to make, but it is a perfect meatless meal and you can also swap out the veggies based on what you already have in the house!
Roasted Squash Veggie Bowl
Ginger Miso Gravy
1 delicata squash, sliced into approx. 1/4 inch slices
1/2 package tofu, cubed
1 cup crimini mushrooms, if you don’t have these, other varieties work well also
splashes of rice vinegar
1 bunch kale (6 leaves or so), you can also use spinach
salt & pepper
1 cup (or so) cooked brown rice
pinches of red pepper flakes
toasted almonds and sesame seeds
a few scallions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Drizzle squash slices with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for approx 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. (the time in your oven may vary). I also roasted my tofu cubes (with olive oil, salt & pepper) at the same time on a second baking sheet.
3. Make the gravy recipe. Reserve the leftover bits of garlic, etc, after you strain it.
4. Heat a bit of olive oil in a medium sized skillet. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and the reserved bits from straining your gravy. Cook stirring occasionally until they’re golden and soft, about 8-10 minutes. Deglaze the pan with a splash of rice vinegar (or white or red wine), and continue cooking for another few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. You can either chop and cook your kale in the pan with your mushrooms or roast it in the oven. I have this new lazy technique where I take the whole bunch, drizzle it with a little olive oil and salt, and put the whole thing (bunched up) in the oven during the last few minutes of my roasted squash (for 5-8 minutes or so). Watch it and take it out when it’s wilted and the edges are just a bit crispy. Remove from the oven and chop it.
6. Assemble your bowls with rice, veggies, tofu, and toss with some of the gravy. Top with almonds, sesame seeds & scallions and serve with the rest of the gravy on the side.