Katie and I both recently joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and received our first boxes last week. We’ll have more on that later, but I was delighted to find 2 bunches of crispy, bright green, just picked asparagus. It’s easily one of my top three favorite vegetables, I love it roasted with sea salt or grilled on a bbq. My toddlers, on the other hand, have recently decided that they don’t like it. I think it’s a texture issue because they will eat if it’s finely diced in other dishes like risotto, or pureed as pesto. There is no better time of year to eat asparagus than RIGHT NOW, so here are a few more reasons (other than my opinion) as to why you and your family should eat more of this super food:
1. It’s packed with fiber, folate, chromium and vitamins A, C, E & K
2. Rich source of “glutathione” – a powerful detoxifying compound
3. Good vegetarian source of iron, providing almost 16% of our RDA in one cup
4. Natural diuretic, ridding our bodies of excess salt
5. Contains inulin, a prebiotic which supports digestive health
6. Good source B1, B2, B3 & B6 which helps protect our heart and regulate blood sugar
7. It’s easy to cook and tastes great!
Stay tuned for a creamy asparagus soup recipe that I will post later today!