To follow-up with last week’s article that introduced new super ingredient #1 (acerola) to the line-up of the new MySuperCookies that are due to make their debut soon, we’ll focus on new super ingredient #2 this week: baobab fruit. You may be wondering about this superfood from Africa; it’s not often you hear its unique name. This sweet and tangy fruit that tastes similarly to a pear has been harvested for centuries for its medicinal qualities and an even be considered a cure-all, known to treat everything from fevers, malaria, gastric problems, and vitamin C deficiency. Most notably, the baobab fruit is known as an antioxidant superstar. Antioxidant levels are measured in something called an ORAC score.The ORAC level of Baobab Fruit Pulp powder is 1,400 per gram, and just to put this into perspective, blueberries are a 65 on the ORAC scale, Pomegranates are 105, and Goji Berries are 125. MySuperFoods knew that this fruit was too good to pass up as an ingredient, so check out what else it offers your health:
- Increases Energy Levels: Baobab is an excellent source of thiamin (vitamin B1), vitamin C, and vitamin B6 which contribute to the processes that yield energy in the body. Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- Helps to Maintain Healthy Heart Function: Baobab is an excellent source of potassium, which contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure.
- Helps to Clear the Digestive System: Baobab is a rich source of calcium which contributes to the normal function of digestive enzymes. Additionally, organic Baobab Fruit Pulp is 50% fiber. So, if you take 12 grams of Baobab Fruit pulp, you are getting 6 grams of fiber. The breakdown of the fiber is 67% Soluble Fiber and 33% Insoluble Fiber. Therefore in a 12 gram serving you are getting about 4 grams of Soluble Fiber and 2 grams of Insoluble Fiber.
- Promotes Mental Clarity: Baobab is an excellent source of thiamin (vitamin B1), vitamin C and vitamin B6 which contribute to the processes that yield energy in the body.
- Promotes Healthy Skin: Baobab’s high antioxidant capacities help protect our skin cells from damage caused by free radicals. The vitamin C in the fruit also helps to protect cells from oxidative stress (free radical damage) and contributes to the normal formation of collagen in skin, which gives it a smooth appearance. Vitamin C also contributes to the regeneration of vitamin E.
o Vitamin C increases iron absorption o Offers an Immune System Boost o Helps to Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels o Enhances Recovery From Exercise due to the magnesium and potassium o Improves Sleep Patterns due to the high concentration of magnesium o Reduces Fatigue Levels Some other great characteristics of baobab fruit: o 6 x Antioxidants of blueberries and cranberries o Double the antioxidants of the Acai berry o 6 x Vitamin C of Oranges o 6 x Potassium of Bananas o 50% Heart Healthy Fiber Per Serving o More Magnesium Than Coconut Water o Twice As Much Calcium as Milk o Gram for Gram, 66% More Iron Than Spinach o Low in Sodium, Sugar and Calories o Ethically and Sustainably Harvested REFERENCES: National Geographic blog, Forbes Magazine, www.limitlessgood.com, and www.aduna.com Megan Monday articles are written by Megan Kalocinski, a Certified Holistic Nutrition and Health Coach and Owner/Founder of Empower Nutrition & Health Coaching, LLC. Megan educates and empowers women, men, and children of all ages to learn the true ins-and-outs of “feeding the brain with knowledge about the best foods, products, and habits for one’s body” in order to reach optimal health and wellness potentials. Visit her website today to learn more:http://www.exponentialhealthandwellness.us or feel free to send her an e-mail at:email@example.com. Follow Megan on Twitter (@MPowerNutrition) and like her on Facebook (Empower Nutrition & Health Coaching, LLC).