As a mom (or a person) it’s hard to stay on top of the latest and greatest nutritional powerhouse ingredients. (Nevermind getting everyone up, dressed and fed for the day…)
Here’s a simple breakdown of some of our favorite ingredients, why they are so amazing and some products we buy for our own kids to maximize nutrition:
1. Chia – rich in omega 3s (polyunsaturated fats). These are essential fatty acids that are good for cognitive development (brain food), asthma, growth, and anti-inflammatory effects. We used chia in the development of MySuperCookies and also love Nature’s Path Coconut Chia Granola.
You can read more about chia here.
2. Quinoa – Has 8 essential amino acids, which can’t be made by the body, but are needed for brain health, immunity and kidney function. Quinoa is also high in vitamins A, C and E, which makes it a great antioxidant. We love Simply 7 Quinoa Chips with Sea Salt.
3. Acerola – tropical superfruit with many health benefits. It is extremely rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that plays a role in immunity health. MySuperCookies are made with acerola and 1 serving (11 cookies) achieves 50% RDA of Vitamin C.
4. Coconut Oil – Is rich in antioxidants and fiber. The fatty acids are known to reduce the risk of heart disease. We love baking with coconut oil and can’t get enough of Emmy’s Organics Dark Cacao Macaroons.
Check out our past article on coconut oil here.
5. Flax Seeds – Tiny powerhouses of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Flax seeds are easy to sprinkle into smoothies, oatmeal, and pancake batter. We use flax seeds in all MySuperFoods products but we also love Dr Kracker Pumpkin Seed Cheddar Crackers.
Here is a bit more about flax seeds.