I’ve been on the MySuperFoods team for two years (you can read my letter from when I turned one here). So this year, when I asked Katie and Silvia if the terrible twos were a real thing…They both said yes. I knew I was asking the right people. But what is it? Katie said: “It’s INDEPENDENCE. It’s the I CAN DO THIS attitude.” I stopped. I smiled. Why? Because I’m 27 and I feel that exact way. I’m dabbling on the line of I can do it on my own, but please tread lightly behind me in case I fall. I’m getting frustrated over certain things and now expressing it. I’m fully mobile and communicating with everyone around, so I need a bit more guidance and some defined boundaries.
I know Silvia & Katie have done this before (x2 or 3), but I’m sure I’m giving them different emotions than those SuperKids…and all I can say is THANK YOU! Thank you for choosing me to be the person you mentor.
- Thank you for the constant reminder that I’m part of something much bigger than what I can see around me. Our food system is broken, and I’m so excited to be a small part of a big change. I’m also contributing to a greater cause. Our social mission to end child hunger in the US really keeps us moving forward. I don’t care if I sell 1 single case to a new store. The most rewarding part of this adventure is watching our contributions grow. We’ve now donated over 75,000 meals to local food banks and shelters across the US. That’s something to be proud of.
- Thank you for being so dedicated to helping me grow within this company. You both treat me as an equal, but understand that I need reassurance and guidance. In your individual ways, you’ve praised by accomplishments and brought my weaknesses to light. You’ve each pushed me to dig deeper, work harder, and stand taller. I’m happy to admit my faults, and work toward better practices. I know I need to work on my organization and follow up skills. But.. my relationships are stronger, and I think my pitch is getting better with each expo.
- Thank you for giving me an opportunity that has developed into a deep passion. I never imagined myself being so motivated to learn about healthy and mindful eating. I’ve most certainly never pictured myself negotiating sales—and today, I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. I thrive on the rejection, and get super happy over my wins. I love the early morning merchandising trips. I love periodic sales reviews. I love setting up for expos, and then standing for 8 hours straight. I’m very lucky to be excited about going to work each day… especially rainy Monday mornings.
- Thank you for embracing my creative side, my millennial thoughts, and my need to talk ideas out. I know my ideas aren’t always practical, but I genuinely appreciate how you both listen. Within a small company, I can imagine it being hard to make employees feel like you’re being heard. You two let me talk. I might not always feel like I’m adding value. But, I always feel like you appreciate my most outrageous ideas– even if it’s just for the sake of knowing that I’m still thinking about the brand. You’ve refined more than just my palate.
- Thank you for the small moments of eye contact and heartfelt hugs that make me feel like my mistakes were just part of the plan. Each time I feel like I’ve dropped the ball, I’m reminded that this is a learning process for all of us. But, it’s the recognition of mistakes that make me work harder and the empathy that comes from the both of you that makes me want to continue growing. I’m blessed to have found two friends in my bosses.
- Thank you for being your authentic selves every single day. On good days and bad days, your true selves are present. What I adore most about this team is the laughter. Not a single day in the office is boring. And, then when we’re forced to be together for 4 straight days (I love expo so much) we really compliment one another. I love that. You’ve both taught me to never waiver from what I believe in, trust my initial thoughts, and keep an eye on the bigger picture. You’ve both made me a better version of myself, and I can’t wait to see what the next few years bring. I’m incredibly grateful to be on this rocket ship with the two of you.
Here are a few memories I’ve captured this year:
This was the first time I saw MySuperCookies at TARGET near my house. I was so excited, I told everyone in the store about them. The manager still calls me “The Cookie Girl.” I’ll take it.
After Expo West, Silvia and Katie sent me to Whole Foods in the Pacific North West. I drove around Portland, OR and Vancouver,WA for two days. I fell so-in-love (so so so in love) with Oregon. I’m so happy to have been able to travel by myself– I came back more confident, with a clear mission to work hard enough to be able to go back.
This SUPERTEAM spent a day at the Food Bank of NYC. We love their partnership, and couldn’t be happier to have prepared lunch and dinner meals for these families. It was a humbling experience, that really made me appreciate our social mission. If any of our SuperFriends have a local foodbank in their area, we’d love to donate! Let’s talk. You can also contribute to our virtual food drive here.
This is what happens when I sit down to eat, and they tell me it’s okay to write on the table. I’m always excited to bring out my inner child–and an opportunity for free advertising!